Starting a Business
Dreaming of Starting a Business?
There’s a lot to learn to set up a business for success, but you don’t have to do it alone.
We have business consultants who can help:
Assess the opportunity you’re thinking of; Conduct market research; Help write your business plan; Help secure financing; and more.

Let’s take the first steps together.

The Equity Assistance Program (EAP).

All Types of Business Ideas Welcome.

  1. Apply

    Fill out the application which also contains more program information including our straightforward criteria.  This will give us an early indication of what type of financial support Business Enterprises can provide, or where more detail is needed.

  2. Coaching and Advice.

    After you’ve submitted your application, you’ll be invited to meet with your local Baker Tilly representative in The Pas who will be ready to help. We want Opaskwayak entrepreneurs to have access to the best possible advice so we’ve partnered with local business and accounting experts Baker Tilly who are ready to discuss the next steps you’ll want to take, financial opportunities and your own financial investment into the business.

  3. Business Planning

    When you’re ready, your local Baker Tilly rep will apply for business plan funding from the First Peoples Economic Growth Fund (FPEGF).  The FPEGF will cover up to 75% of business planning costs. Opaskwayak entrepreneurs will be asked to provide the remaining 25% for business plan development financing.

  4. Financing

    Once your business plan is complete, the applicant can then begin shopping around for financing using their own equity and the equity provided  through our EAP program (some conditions apply).  Potential funders include:

    • First Peoples Economic Growth Fund (FPEGF)
    • Cedar Lake Community Futures
    • Local Banks
    • Futurepreneur Canada
    •  Business